MAY 12, 1814
200 years ago today in Washington County, Indiana Territory, Adam House/Housh was operating a tavern under the first tavern license issued by the Washington Circuit Court on April 11, 1814. His friend John Fleenor put up the financial guarantee which was required for the license to be issued. Housh had reputedly built the first cabin in the area in 1809 where the Indian trail crossed the ridge that ran north to the Muscatatuk from Brock Creek but he never entered any title claim. The tavern was located on the homestead of his brother, Andrew House/Housh at the top of the Knobs above the old Muscatatuk ford. The House/Housh brothers were of German heritage as their father immigrated to the American Colonies from the Wurtemburg area of Germany. House/Housh must not have been dedicated to a career as a purveyor of spirits as he soon enlisted in the Company of the US Mounted Rangers commanded by Captain James Biggers of Clark County, In. As a Ranger, House/Housh was paid $1 per day, and was required to supply his own horse, ammunition, tomahawk, a large and small knife, and a leather belt.Adam House later moved on to Knox County, Illinois where he died in 1861.