200 years ago today in Madison Township, Washington County,
Indiana Territory one of the first settlers in Washington County, THOMAS POULSON
(1775-1829), finally acquired title to land he had squatted on before the
rights to settle in the area had been purchased from various native American tribes
by General William Henry Harrison through the Treaty of Grouseland. The land title issued to Poulson on this date
was to the southeast quarter of Section 17, T1S, R3E. This location featured Hunter
Spring which flows west a short distance to Blue River. This farm was along a sweeping bend of Blue
River just downstream from the Vincennes Road.
It is today located south of Blice Point, north of Moore Hill and at the
west end of Kay Bottom. The south line of this land claim was the boundary line
between Washington and Harrison County.
The Stevens Centennial History of Washington County says
that Thomas Poulson was the third person to settle in what was to become
Washington County. Thomas Hopper
squatted on land near present day Hardinsburg in 1803 and Jesse Spurgeon arrived
at Royse’s Lick in 1804. Thomas and
Susannah Dollins Poulson squatted on the land they eventually purchased in
1805. Several soldiers, Indians,
settlers and itinerants stopped at Hunters Spring and the Poulson became accommodating
hosts. The Poulson cabin was noted for its hospitality and an extra bed for
those travelling between Vincennes and the Falls of the Ohio on the Vincennes
Thomas Poulson was born in Albemarle County, Virginia in
1775. This was where the west edge of
the coastal plain met the Appalachian Mountains. It was the home county of Thomas Jefferson
and James Monroe. Susannah Dollins was also a native of Virginia. They were married in Albemarle County, Va. in
1798. It is unknown whether Thomas
Poulson came to the Indiana Territory alone or whether his family immediately relocated
with him. It was not uncommon for the
husband to scout out land in the Indiana Territory and establish a cabin and
small farmstead before bringing his family from Kentucky, North Carolina or
Virginia to settlement on the frontier in the former Northwest Territory. After the Poulsons settled along Blue River,
they made a second land claim to the northwest quarter of Section 21, T1S, R3E
located in Harrison County. They
actually paid off this second claim first and received their deed for this
piece of land on May 21, 1814. This
second tract shared its northeast corner with the original homestead on Blue
River. A third adjoining quarter section was purchased by the Poulsons in 1827.
Thomas Poulson wrote a death bed will on October 15,
1829. He died three days later and was
probably buried on his land. The will
was witnessed by neighbors Benjamin King and John Royse and his brother in law
from Lincoln County, Kentucky, William Dollins.
The will named his twenty seven year old son, Shiloh, and his wife as
the co-executors. The preface of the
will committed his “soul to God and his body to dust”. The will gave “Sukey” Susannah Poulson a life
estate to the entire estate. The estate
was then divided equally among the seven children, to-wit: Elizabeth Broadwell
(plus $10); Shiloh Poulson; Nancy Poulson; John Poulson (plus $20); Rebeckah
Poulson; Sarah Poulson; and Thomas Poulson. The wife was given the discretion
to advance part of each child’s inheritance upon their marriage.
The estate was liquidated and the family of Thomas and
Susannah Poulson moved to different locations in southwestern Indiana. Elizabeth
and Henry Broadwell moved to Warrick County, Indiana. Shiloh Poulson married
Selah Smith and moved to Dubois County, Indiana. Nancy Poulson married John T.
Jones and moved to Dubois County, Indiana.
John Poulson became a physician, moved to Dubois County, Indiana and
died in 1842. Rebecka Poulson married Dr. Austin Brown and they moved to
Warrick County, Indiana. Sarah Poulson married John G. Lee and moved to Daviess
County, Indiana. Thomas Poulson moved to
Dubois County, Indiana.
200 years ago today EDWARD LINTHICUM and ELIZABETH HEPNER
were married in Madison Township, Washington County, Indiana Territory. The nuptials were solemnized by neighbor
Robert Catlin who was a Justice of the Peace. This connubiation is the first
marriage presently recorded in the public records of Washington County,
Indiana. The first page of Marriage Book
A is missing from the rebound volume that is now two centuries old. This means that the first four to six
marriages filed with the Clerk of the Washington Circuit Court in 1814 and 1815
are now lost to history.
Marriages in the southern uplands of the Indiana Territory
were usually rather informal affairs.
There were few established church congregations and ever fewer church houses. Therefore, most early marriages were
conducted by Justices of the Peace. If
the Justice of the Peace was a considerable distance away from the court house,
the record of the marriage may not have ever been filed with the County
Clerk. Public notice of marriages in the
early days of the Indiana Territory were sometimes posted in three public
places and that may have been their only public record. At the time Justice of the Peace Robert
Catlin took the marriage vows of Edward Linthicum and Elizabeth Hepner, there
was no Court House yet completed in which to file marriage records. The original marriage records maintained by Clerks Isaac Blackford and Basil Prather were
transferred to the Washington County Court House when it was opened for public
matters in May of 1816.
After his marriage, Edward Linthicum registered a land claim
for the east half of the northwest quarter of Section 19, T1S, R3E, in Blue
River Township, Harrison County, Indiana
Territory. This tract was riparian land on Blue River located on the north
coursing part of the large bend the river downstream from Fredericksburg and
immediately south of Lambert Hill. Its
north line is coincidental to the boundary line between Harrison and Washington
Counties. Edward Linthicum died sometime before March 25, 1825 as the United
States General Land Office issued the deed for this land patent to “the heirs
and representatives of Edward Linthicum”.
Elizabeth Hepner was probably the daughter of George and
Mary Hepner who either registered or paid off three different land patents in
Washington County between the dates of August 1, 1816 through October 4,
1825. The first Hepner homestead was in
the northeast quarter of Section 15, T1S R3E.
This tract was advantageously located where the Vincennes Road was near
a bend in Blue River. The value of this location was apparent when the Hepners sold
it on March 21, 1817 to John Gregg for $1,000. The Hepners next acquired the
rights to a land claim registered by Joseph Shaw. This 160 acres was the southeast quarter of
Section 14, T1S, R2E. This land
contained a large spring the was the outlet for the sinking creek karst system flowing
southeast from the edge of the Crawford Upland to Blue River. The Hepners sold this tract to Benjamin
Radcliff on January 22, 1820. Radcliff built a mill there and ran a distillery
from this spate of cave water. The Hepners
had registered a third land claim at the
Jeffersonville Land Office for the west half of the southwest quarter of
Section 13, T1S, R2E, but sold it to David Radcliff who then obtained his title
on October 4, 1825. This tract was immediately east of the land where the
Benjamin Radcliff mill and distillery were operating.
COMPILATION OF EARLY WASHINGTON COUNTY MARRIAGES
COLLEEN ALICE RIDLEN
GOOGLE EARTH VIEW OF RADCLIFFE SPRINGS
AND BLUE RIVER
200 years ago today in Washington County, Indiana Territory,
STEPHEN GLOVER (1787-1826) was granted his title to the northeast quarter of Section
8, T2N, R2E. Glover selected land for his settlement north of the North Fork of
Lost River near the road laid out from Beck’s Mill to the Jesse Roberts
homestead southeast of present day Orleans.
This land is located today in Orange County, Indiana on Washington County
line midway between SR 60 and SR 337.
Stephen Glover was born in Essex County, New Jersey in 1787.
He married Sarah Kirkham in Nelson County, Kentucky on August 1, 1808. She was a native of Kentucky having been
born near Lexington. They crossed the
Ohio River into the Indiana Territory sometime before 1812 as Glover was a
resident of Harrison County, Indiana when he filed his claim for the land on
Lost River which was then part of that county.
Stephen Glover was a son of Uriah Glover, Jr. (1740-1830) and
Elizabeth Robinson Glover (1744-1822) who came to the Indiana Territory from
Shelby County, Kentucky. Uriah Glover, Jr. was born in Long Island, New York. He married Elizabeth Robinson and they lived
in Essex County, New Jersey where they became parents of twelve children. Uriah and Elizabeth and many of their
children came to Kentucky where they lived for about twenty years. Uriah Glover, Jr. took out six land patents in
the Indiana Territory between August 13, 1812 and December 23, 1822. All of
these pioneer farms were drained by Lost River upstream from its junction with
Carter’s Creek. Stephen Glover’s tract
was adjacent to two of his father’s claims.
They undoubtedly worked together during their years along Lost River
clearing almost 1,100 acres and raising crops and livestock to pay for their
land claims. Uriah Glover, Jr. was also an experience miller as he served as
mill foremen for the Bullitt Brothers at Spring Mill. Uriah Glover, Jr. died at the age of 89 thereby
outliving his son by eight years. They
are both buried in the Trimble Cemetery which was established on the
neighboring land of David McKinney.
200 years ago today in Washington County, Indiana Territory,
seven pioneers received deeds from the United States government for their
perfected land claims. These early
settlers were: Solomon Bush, Robert Hollowell, Isaac Lofton, Jr., Frederick
Phillips, James Redus, Christopher Trinkle and Peter Zink. Four of these seven
were of Germanic heritage.
SOLOMON BUSH (1788-1874) was granted title to the southeast quarter of Section 1, T1S, R4E,
on this date. This pioneer farmstead was located immediately east of the land
of Philip Shults and bordered the farm of Frederick Phillips on the south. The land is found today just north of
Martinsburg, Indiana on the east side of SR 335 and south of Lovell Road. Solomon Bush was the son of John Jacob Bush
and Mary Phillips Bush who both of Germanic stock. John Jacob Bush’s father was born in Baden-Wurttemberg
and settled in Pendleton County, Virginia and then in Shelby County, Ky. Two generations of the Bush family came to the
Indiana Territory in about 1811. John Jacob
Bush took at a land patent on Dutch Creek on June 22, 1813 in the southwest
quarter of Section 2, T1S, R4E. Solomon
Bush married Nancy Elizabeth Beck in 1814 after staking his claim. His father
died in 1820 and was buried near his Dutch Creek farm. Solomon Bush then relocated to a homestead on
a ridge between the two branches of Rush Creek where he lived until his death
in 1874. Bush operated on of the many distilleries in his Rush Creek
neighborhood. The Stevens Centennial
History states that between 1820 and 1835 half of the land in Jefferson Township,
Washington County, Indiana was paid for by the sale of whiskey.
ROBERT HOLLOWELL (1772-1865) received title from the United
States General Land Office to the southeast quarter of Section 33, T1N,
R2E. This acreage was located on the
Vincennes Road just northwest of the present town limits of Hardinsburg. This grant of land was the fourth purchased
by Hollowell from the US government in this part of the Indiana Territory. As
mentioned in my post of June 26, 2014, Hollowell acquired eighteen land patents
in Washington, Orange and Lawrence County,
Indiana between 1813 and 1838. He and his wife Elizabeth Cox Hollowell were
members of the Lick Creek Friends Meeting. They were in the vanguard of the
Quaker emigration from North Carolina when they came to Indiana in 1809.
ISAAC LOFTON, Jr. (1784-1859) was issued a deed by the US
government for the southwest quarter of Section 10, T1S, R3E. Lofton was
attracted to this location as it contained both river bottoms and a karst ridge
between the river valleys of Royse’s Fork and the Mutton Fork of Blue River.
This ground is northeast of Fredericksburg where the Fredericksburg Road makes
a right angle turn. Isaac Lofton Sr. and
Isaac Lofton Jr. both came to the Indiana Territory from Mercer County,
Kentucky. Isaac Sr. was born in
Frederick County, Virginian in 1745. Isaac
Jr. was born in Cabarrus County, North Carolina in 1784. One of Isaac Lofton’s neighbors was Roland
Voyles who also was one of the early settlers of Washington County, Indiana
Territory. The Loftons crossed the Transappalachian frontier and entered land
in Mercer County, Kentucky in about 1806.
The Loftons made their land claim near to the Blue River crossing of the
Vincennes Road after selling their
Mercer County, Kentucky farm in February 1810.
Isaac Lofton Sr. died on December 10, 1813. Isaac and Judah Rorie Lofton were the head of
a very industrious family as they purchased twelve land patents from the
Federal government between 1815 and 1848 in Washington, Harrison and Spencer
FREDRICK PHILLIPS (1769-1836) obtained his land patent on
this date for the northeast quarter of Section 1, T1S, R4E. The Phillips tract
was one of the oversized quarter sections located on the south boundary of the
division line between T1N and T1S. Phillips
operated a horse mill for the grinding of grain for several year on his farm. The
neighbors of Frederick and Mary Scott Phillips were his nephew Solomon Bush,
Philip Shults, Ephraim Goss, Philip Hynote and Christian Bixler. The father of Frederick Phillips was a native of Alsace in
southwestern Germany. The Phillips family first came to Pennsylvania and then
followed the Great Wagon Road south to Frederick County, Virgina. Frederick Phillips married Mary Scott in
Virginia in 1790. They came through the
Cumberland Gap and had settled on the Pennyroyal Plateau in Muhlenberg County,
Kentucky by 1800. While living there, the Phillips had an indentured servant
named William Cutsinger. Their contract
of indenture required them to teach him “the farming business, reading, writing
and common arithmetic including the Rule of Three”. The Philipps sold their farm in the
Pennyroyal for $500 on July 15, 1811.
They then relocated to their Indiana homestead on the headwaters of
Dutch Creek. Presumably, Mr. Cutsinger could figure out by this time how much
20 bushels of corn would cost if 15 bushels of corn cost $1.
JAMES REDUS (1744-1821) acquired his title on this date to
the northwest quarter of Section 6, T1N, R3E. His choice for settlement was found where the
trail from Beck’s Mill to Vincennes passed through a valley on the west edge of
the Barrens into the hills outlying the Crawford Upland. Redus was a native of Cecil County Maryland
which is located in the very northeast corner of that state at the head of the
Chesapeake Bay. He married Sarah Chalfant in Chester County, Pennsylvania in
1786. James and Sarah Redus were buried
in the Livonia Cemetery upon their passing.
Archibald Boston had originally made a claim to the land settled by
James Redus. Boston assigned his claim to
Redus so that he could serve in the Kentucky Militia during the war of
1812. After he mustered out of the
militia, Boston took out a land patent in Lawrence County, Indiana. He later moved on to Shelby County, Illinois.
CHRISTOPHER TRINKLE (1752-1829) was issued his deed from the
General Land Office on this date to the southwest quarter of Section 15, T1N,
R2E. The Trinkle homestead is now
located south of Livonia on the south side of McCullough Road. This land was part of the Dr. McCullough farm
for many years Christopher Tinkle was a
son of Johann Stephen Traenkle who came to the American Colonies from Baden-Wurttemberg
in 1738. Christopher Trinkle was born near Winchester, Virginia and married Elizabeth
Wysor in 1776. He
served in the Revolutionary War for the Montgomery County Militia. Their children were baptized in the Lutheran
tradition of the family. Elizabeth died in 1812 after most of their children
had grown. Christopher brought his younger children with him to the Indiana
Territory soon thereafter and made his claim in the karst plain north of the
Vincennes Road. He was buried in the Sinking Spring Cemetery near his farm.
PETER ZINK (1755-1836) became the owner of the southeast
quarter of Section 12, T2N, R3E, 200 years ago today. Zink selected his claim on a tributary of
Highland Creek because it had a prolific spring. His first neighbors were Samuel Blankenbaker
and Godlove Kemp. The burgeoning county
seat of Salem was about 2 miles to the east. Zink was born in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
in 1755. His parents moved to Washington
County, Virginia where Peter lived until he was lured to the West to settle in
the Indiana Territory. Peter Zink was of German ancestry as his father was
Gottlieb Zink. At least three of his
siblings came to the newly established Washington County, Indiana
Territory. Jacob Zink lived near
Harristown. Daniel Zink took out a land
patent near the west bank of Royse’s Fork of Blue River below its junction with
Highland Creek. George Brock who was the
subject of my post of April 23, 2014 was
his brother in law.
200 years ago today in Washington County, Indiana Territory,
Philip Shultz/s obtained a land patent to the southwest quarter of Section 1,
in T1S, R4E. This 160 acres was located
between the upper tributaries of Dutch Creek where the old trail from the Falls
of the Ohio to Royse’s Lick coursed near the crest of the Knobstone
Escarpment. The Shults homestead is
found today on the west side of SR 335 north of Martinsburg and north and east
of Dutch Creek Road. At the time Shults filed his land claim, he was named as a
resident of Harrison County, Indiana Territory.
This means that he commenced settlement on his land before January of
1814 when Washington County was organized.
Philip Shults obtained a second land patent on July 14, 1820
for the northeast quarter of Section 35, T1N, R4E. This tract was also on the old trail from the
Falls of the Ohio to Royse’s Lick on some of the highest elevation that drains
southwest to a creek that empties into the Mutton Fork of Blue River. This part
of Shults’ land is located today north of Trainer Lane and west of the
Martinsburg Road/SR 335 intersection.
Shults’ wife was named Elizabeth.
With only four children, they had a small family untypical of pioneer
families on the Indiana frontier.
Philip and Elizabeth Shults were part of the community of
Germanic heritage that settled along Dutch Creek. The
Bush, Karnes, Wyman, Lukenbill, Busey and Fogelman families lived
between the Shults and the confluence of Bear Creek and Blue River. As there was no German nation in the early
1800s, their native language was called Deutsch [as in Deutschland]. Dutch Creek takes its name from these “Deutsch”
Philip Shults died before November 1830 leaving his wife
Elizabeth and four sons (Jacob, Andrew, George and John) surviving. His burial location is not recorded although
it may be on the farm where he lived. Neighbor John Pew served as the administrator
of the Philip Shults estate until he
died in 1834. Valentine Baker finished
out the administration of the Shults estate as administrator de bonis nom. One
of his sons, Andrew, bought out another son, Jacob,
on September 29, 1832. The widow Elizabeth and their minor child
John moved north with Jacob to Tippecanoe County, Indiana soon after Philip died. Elizabeth Shults died in Porter County
Indiana on September 8, 1847. Andrew
Shults eventually sold parts of the
family homestead to Edmund Turner, Wilson Grimes and Mr. Graybill.