MAY 2, 1815
200 years ago today in Washington County, Indiana Territory, Philip Shultz/s obtained a land patent to the southwest quarter of Section 1, in T1S, R4E. This 160 acres was located between the upper tributaries of Dutch Creek where the old trail from the Falls of the Ohio to Royse’s Lick coursed near the crest of the Knobstone Escarpment. The Shults homestead is found today on the west side of SR 335 north of Martinsburg and north and east of Dutch Creek Road. At the time Shults filed his land claim, he was named as a resident of Harrison County, Indiana Territory. This means that he commenced settlement on his land before January of 1814 when Washington County was organized.
Philip Shults obtained a second land patent on July 14, 1820 for the northeast quarter of Section 35, T1N, R4E. This tract was also on the old trail from the Falls of the Ohio to Royse’s Lick on some of the highest elevation that drains southwest to a creek that empties into the Mutton Fork of Blue River. This part of Shults’ land is located today north of Trainer Lane and west of the Martinsburg Road/SR 335 intersection. Shults’ wife was named Elizabeth. With only four children, they had a small family untypical of pioneer families on the Indiana frontier.
Philip and Elizabeth Shults were part of the community of Germanic heritage that settled along Dutch Creek. The Bush, Karnes, Wyman, Lukenbill, Busey and Fogelman families lived between the Shults and the confluence of Bear Creek and Blue River. As there was no German nation in the early 1800s, their native language was called Deutsch [as in Deutschland]. Dutch Creek takes its name from these “Deutsch” families.
Philip Shults died before November 1830 leaving his wife Elizabeth and four sons (Jacob, Andrew, George and John) surviving. His burial location is not recorded although it may be on the farm where he lived. Neighbor John Pew served as the administrator of the Philip Shults estate until he died in 1834. Valentine Baker finished out the administration of the Shults estate as administrator de bonis nom. One of his sons, Andrew, bought out another son, Jacob, on September 29, 1832. The widow Elizabeth and their minor child John moved north with Jacob to Tippecanoe County, Indiana soon after Philip died. Elizabeth Shults died in Porter County Indiana on September 8, 1847. Andrew Shults eventually sold parts of the family homestead to Edmund Turner, Wilson Grimes and Mr. Graybill.
GOOGLE EARTH VIEW OF PHILIP SHULTS HOMESTEAD
RHINELAND PALATINE FLAG
ELIZABETH SHULTS GRAVESTONE