APRIL 23, 1814
200 years ago, George Brock and Catherine Zink Brock and their sons-in-law, Adam Barnett, Frederick Neideffer and son George Brock, Jr. were watching the clearing of John DePauw’s town with curiosity. They were far enough north and up the creek so as not to be disturbed by its activity but close enough to do business on a daily basis if the lots got sold and a court house built. They had toiled hard in order to pay for and make improvements on the 640 acres they had bought from the Jeffersonville Federal Land Office in the last 3 years. They also allowed settlers such as Godlove Kamp to rent part of their land while seeking out their own land for settlement. Brock already had a cemetery on his land from the death of a daughter, Catherine Brock Neideffer, and a nephew, John Zink, who died of wounds at Vallonia incurred in a skirmish with Indians that had raided the area. The Brocks were hoping that they could start using their land occupied by the trail that went from the White River ford to Royse’s Lick. If Salem became the center of local activity, then roads would lead to Salem instead of Royse’s Lick.