Town Trustee Thomas Beasley located Salem's first tavern at a position of advantage. He bought lot 106 in April 1814 from John DePauw with 25% down and the balance in 1 year. He recorded his deed on April 16, 1815. The tavern was located on the southeast corner of DePauw's plat on the natural terrace overlooking Royse's Fork of Blue River where the road to the Falls of the Ohio [now Martinsburg Road] entered Salem. The approximate location is pinned on the Google map below.